Palmira city - Valle del Cauca
Altitude: 1.001 m.a.s.l.
Distance from Cali: 28 Km.
Palmira is a city of Valle del Cauca department, is located to the southeast, 480Km to southwest of Bogotá and 37 Km from Cali, the capital. It has warm weather.
It has more than 200.000 inhabitants, is the second most important city of the department and is considered agricultural capital of the country by its tobacco, coffee, sugar canes and maize cultivations.
Palmira is the venue of several national agricultural events such as: the Equine Fair that attracts to thousand of national and foreign tourists and investors every year; The National Fair of the Agriculture and Furniture Expo on February, Beer Festival and the Festival of the Trova on August among others.
It was known as Llano Grande, to be named village with its current name on December 5, 1813. It is considered city since 1854.
Nuestra Señora del Palmar Cathedral
It was built on 1913. On February 9, 1929, this work was renowned. Inside, there is a Spanish painting of the XIX century and represents to Nuestra Señora del Palmar Virgin.
It is one of the symbols of the city and the meeting place for the Palmira’s inhabitants.
It is possible to appreciate gigantic trees and gardens, a zoo, a pool, the “ciudad de hierro” and an open-air theater.
This architectonic work was inaugurated on august 13, 1927. Nowadays, it is known as national monument and became the development center of the city where it functions the Ecoparque Llanogrande Foundation, the Conventions Center and the Corporation for Business Developing.
Agustín Barona Pinillos Bullring
It was inaugurated on November 27, 1949; it was built before the bullrings of Cali and Manizales.
Nirvana Natural Reserve
It is a natural reserve located on El Avernillo “vereda”, its main attraction are the wonderful roots of centenary trees of Comino Crespo, its flora and fauna diversity. It has a natural forest of 400 hectares, formed by the foothills of Aguacahara River.
Museum of Transportation
It was founded in 1998, an allusion to the transportation with samples of the whole epochs. It is located adjoining the Alfonso Pinilla International Airport. It provides guided tours from the main hotels of the region to the museum.
- Town Hall: Street 30, Carrera 24 corner.
- Casa de la Cultura Ricardo Nieto: Street 30 Nº 24-00