PopayŠn city - Cauca
Distance from Bogotá: 557 Km.
Popayán is the capital of the region, a beautiful city with a colonial style. It is situated 564 Km. from Bogotá. It is also known as the white city beacause of the color of its houses from the beginings of The XX Century. It counts with many historical, cultural and architectonic patrimonies like churches and museums. It was founded in 1573 by Sebastián de Belcazar.
Popayán is very popular during the commemoration of Christ´s passion and resurrection. Some days before such celebration, the houses are painted with white tones, so, the city is called the white city. There are many processions and religious figures.
How is it possible to arrive to Popayán?
From Bogotá, many flights depart to Popayán, they arrive to the airport Guillermo León Valencia which is placed in the centre of the city.
By car, from Bogotá or from Cali the final destination in Popayán is the Transports Terminal of Popayán by following the Panamerican rout.
There are a lot of interesting places to visit: El Morro del Principal, an archaelogical center, it is composed by a pyramid that was built 500-1600 B.C.; The Caldas Park; The Bridge of Humilladero; The Tower of The Clock.
La Torre del Reloj
The symbol of the city. It was built between 1676 and 1682. It is composed by 96.000 bricks and a English clock. The clock used to work thanks to two clock weights made of lead. It is located in a corner between the avenues 7 and 5.
El Morro del Tulcán
This is the principal archaelogical location. It was discovered in 1929 and it was clasified as a Pyramid, but, actually, it is a mountain where ancient people practiced rituals. Human rests, amorphous ceramics and other pre-Columbian objects were founded in this place. In the top of the mountain, a statue of Belcazar was built.
Puente del Humilladero
It is located in the center of the city, in the zone of Bolívar. It was built in 1873. It is composed by 12 arcs and it is 180 m. high. It was the main entrance to the city for a long period. It was designed by an Italian prist and a German engineer.
The park was built in 1537. It is enclosed by religious constructions and government locations as the square and the market.