Boyaca
· Tunja
· Paipa
· Villa de Leyva
  Sogamoso
More Destinations.....
 
Travel Opinion
 
Sogamoso is the second city in Boyaca department, Colombia - Includes information of hotels and sites attractions.
 

Sogamoso city - Boyacá

Altitude: 2492 m.a.s.l.
Distance from Bogotá: 210 Km.
Population: 126551inhabitants

It is the second city in Boyacá department. It is known by its festivities in honor to “the sun and the steel”, celebrated on July, that’s why is known as “sun and steel city”. It is located 50 minutes away from Tunja and is visited by its commercial and industrial development.

Sogamoso was an important religious center of Muiscas and nowadays is an archaeological park. In this place, there is a temple “Sun´s Temple” which suffered one of the most dramatic conquest events in 1537, when it was caught fire accidentally.

The legends tell us that the original temple dimensions were enormous that burned during six years. This was the most sacred place for Muiscas and its name was Sugamox, (hence its city name).

The inhabitants admit that some works of their historical and cultural heritage has been disappeared. There is an inventory and an evaluation of the real state heritage, that POT (Planning Consultant’s office) indicates.

Cathedral of San Martin

It has Romanesque modern style, was built in 1917, on an old house foundations which dates back to 1584. It was built by Emilio Gaugin and the carpenter Luis Barrera Bernal. It was dedicated to San Martin de Tours, city saint.

Archaeological Park

It was created by Eliécer Silva (archaeologist) on the Muisca cemetery remains, and also the chibchas´ archaeological relics. It has pictorial works of Einghar Menghius, David Parra, Manuel Leon and the sculptor Hugo Martinez Escobar.

El Templo  del Sol (Sun Temple)

It is a modern reconstruction of the original temple.

La Pilita de la Unión

It was built as celebration of peace among Colombians at the end of XIX century. It suffered several remodeling: about the middle of XX century, it was praised as a semi-sphere of red cement and at the end of the century, a stone trough was built for donkeys that go down from Morcá.

La Casona de Pie de Cuesta (Big house)

It is the planning consultant office, is located on a road which dates back the pre-Columbian epoch that lead to region moors. It is organized around a central yard of the colonial epoch. It is possible to appreciate the rural architecture with natural environment elements, also the kitchens furniture of that epoch. The house is well conserved, you will appreciate many original objects of the construction epoch.

Sacred Fountain of Conchuda

It is a solar worship, where the boss and the high priest carried out their rituals ceremony.

El Oratorio (Chapel)

It is a friar and entrusted refuge that has disappeared because of the inertia and the authorities’ disregarding. The most representative are the colonial architectures works as the belfry and the masonry tower, built in XVI century.

El Arco De Monquirá (Arch)

It is located in “Los Solares” neighborhood. It is the first aqueduct whose waters go through stone channels from eastern hills of Soganoso trough Boyero River, by an arch bridge, whose ruins can be observed. It was built at the beginning of republican epoch, was a recreation area during many years.

Hill and Chapel of Santa Barbara

The colonial chapel was rebuilt the first middle of XX century, with Lorenzo Vácarez contribution, a rich landowner. The hill shows the “Huella del Diablo”, perforation that makes reference to Huitaca’s footstep, a chibcha devil.

Hill of Chacón

Part of the hill was destroyed for providing sand, used for building this city. The hill was the missionaries’ place that put an enormous wooden cross on the top.

Calle de Mochacá (Street)

This road was built on the indigenous road that the soldiers of Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada trampled on, before burning down the Sun Temple.

El Humilladero ( Shrine)

It was a chapel where the corpses were put into a fire chamber, used at the end of XIX century. There, the Christ chapel was built. It is not the only shrine but the most significant.

Old Cemetery

Nowadays, it is a park named “El Laguito”, conserves the cemetery old façade. In 1970, the Monument to Heroes, work of Hugo Martinez Escobar sculptor, was built. The coat of arms of Sogamoso was made by the mentioned artist, on a cement relief on old bronze.

Useful Information
- Police, Carrera 14 Cl. 11, phone number: 112
- Sogamoso Airport: Alberto Lleras Camargo International Airport


 
Sogamoso
By: sogamoso-boyaca.gov.co
 
Catedral San Martín
By: www.wikipedia.org
 
Parque arqueológico
By: www.wikipedia.org
 
Templo del Sol
By: www.wikipedia.org
 
Cerro y Capilla de Santa Bárbara
By: www.wikipedia.org
 
La Pilita
By: sogamoso-boyaca.gov.co
 
Parque el Laguito
By: sogamoso-boyaca.gov.co
 
 
 
     
  Travel Contact: Argentina Contact | Bolivia Contact | Brazil Contact | Chile Contact | Peru Contact
Copyright 2007 - Colombia Contact
WEBMASTER| SITE MAP
 
  Updating, April 2014